Which diet make me lose weight effectively, is it keto or Atkins? This is the big question that most people can’t find an answer to. Losing weight is a process of whether you choose Atkins or keto diet. Plus it takes time and patience for you to get rid of the extra fat.
Yes, both are low-carb diet, but slightly different. However, will the results be the same regardless of the diet you choose? This article will help you to decide on the most appropriate diet to use. To help you in making a decision, we are going to breakdown both diets into the processes, differences, and similarities.
Dr. Russell Wilder discovered this particular diet in 1923. The menu was developed as a therapy for children who were suffering from epilepsy. Afterward, it was found to be efficient in weight loss. This made it a preferred method for reducing love handles and extra calories in the body.
There are different types of keto diet
- The targeted keto diet (TKD): This form of food allows you to add the intake of carbohydrate as you exercise. It is mostly recommended for athletes who want to lose weight.
- The cyclical keto diet (CKD): This particular diet involves higher and low carb days. For example, five days of the keto diet and two days of high carbs. We suggest that this particular diet to be used by athlete only.
- The standard keto diet (SKD): It is a low-carb diet with moderate proteins and high fat. This 5 percent carbs, 20 percent proteins, and 75 percent fat.
- High-protein keto diet: It is slightly similar to the standard foods only this time round you are required to have a higher percentage of Proteins than fats.
How it works
When you decide to use this particular diet, you need to reduce the percentage of carbohydrates you consume. You are required to cut on the carbs taken daily. This means reducing it by 5 percent.
Therefore, 75 percent of the calories required by the body comes from fat and the rest 20 percent from proteins. The low-carbs intake changes metabolism to the ketosis process. This is the process where the extra fat in the body is broken down to produce energy. This initiates the weight loss in the body.
Dr. Robert C. Atkins discovered the diet in 1972. The Atkins diet also changes the metabolic process just like the keto diet to Ketosis. Therefore for the process to initiate, you need to cut on your carb intake. This, in turn, forces the body to break down the extra fat into glucose and provides energy in your body. This also leads to high levels of Ketone in the blood.
How it works
The diet is slightly different from ketogenic diet since you have to undergo four-phases for it to be successful. These phases include the following
- Induction: It’s the introduction stage in which your body starts to adapt to the low carbs intake. This is a process that has to be done gradually. Hence, you are required to reduce the number of carbohydrates to 20 grams.
Do ensure that your diet contains high amounts proteins and fats. Snacks should be avoided at all cost when on this phase. You are to continue with this particular diet for two weeks.
- Balancing: This is the second phase in which you are required to cut on the carbs intake to 12 to 15 grams. You are allowed to add back a bit of the carb to your plate. You will move to the second stage if you have lost 4.5 kilograms.
- Fine-tuning: At this point, you are required to add various foods to your plate. Plus you can as well add 10 grams of carbs every week. However, if you immediately notice that your weight loss has stopped. Then cut on the extra 10 grams quickly.
- Maintenance: It is the final stage of the Atkins diet. When you have reached this stage, it shows that you have achieved your targeted weight. Therefore you are supposed to maintain the new weight.
Hence, you are allowed to take the number of carbs that you see fit. But you have to ensure you do not add any extra weight. This is because you will start the whole process again which can be expensive.
Similarities between Ketogenic and Atkins diet
Both diets have the same function and effects. Here are some of the similarities that exist between the two diets.
- Weight loss
The diets are both known for their weight loss remedy to those who want to get rid of the extra fats. When you are on either diet, the excess fat in the body is broken down to produce energy. Research has shown that a low-carb diet leads to more weight loss in an individual.
This is compared to low fats. But in the long run, whether on keto or Atkins, you are bound to lose weight at a certain point. Though, the time will be different.
- Medical check-up
You must book an appointment with your doctor before embarking on any of the diets. When you decide to use Atkins or keto without the doctor’s advice, you might be causing more harm than good. Yes, we would want you to lose the extra fat, but safely.
Therefore your doctor will choose for you the right diet according to your health. If you have a chronic disease we strongly recommend that you seek advice from your doctor before starting it. Do not assume this particular stage.
- Ketosis process
In the human body metabolic activities happens and it involves the breaking down of carbs to produce energy. However, Atkins and Keto diets change the metabolic process in the body. When the intake of carbs is lowered, the body shifts from metabolic activities to Ketosis.
This is where the extra fats in the body are broken down to provide energy. This then increases the level of ketone in the blood. Nonetheless, the process does not happen at the same time both diets. In Atkins, this process will be experienced during the first two phases. While in the keto diet, it will be experienced till you finish the diet program.
- Health benefits
Research has revealed that both of the diets have health benefits. For example, the ketogenic diet prevents you from getting diabetes type 2 and cardiovascular diseases such as heart attack, stroke, and heart failure, among others.
Atkins diet also helps in preventing heart disorders, cancer, and epilepsy, to name a few. Hence, you are not only going to lose the extra weight but also improve your immunity system.
- Focus on natural foods
It has been proven when on the diets you take more of organic foods rather than processed foods. This is a step towards improving your health. The processed foods which you buy from the supermarket and grocery store have been linked to various health problems. If you are used to such foods, you are likely to suffer from obesity, heart disorders, or cancer. When on the diets you are able to reduce the risk of getting such diseases.
- Side effects and risk
Though the diets have proven to have health benefits to your body, it has some effects that you have to consider. Atkins and Ketogenic diets initiate the ketosis process, which is good in burning the extra fat in the body. But, this process can lead to health issues such as keto flu, keto skin rash, keto, or even keto breath.
Additionally, the ketosis process might shift to the burning of the muscles to provide energy to the body. This, in turn, leads to loss of muscles in the long run. It is important that you become aware of the risks and side effects involved before starting either of the diets. This helps in preparing you on how to handle yourself when such happens.
If you are undergoing either of the diets, you are likely to experience nutrient deficiencies as well. This lowers your body’s immunity and renders you venerable to opportunistic diseases. It is essential that you seek medical attention and let the doctor advice on whether to continue with the diet or not.
- Neither is more easy to follow than the other
Some people may think that the keto diet is easier to follow than Atkins. In a real sense, none of them is more comfortable to follow. Plus it all depends on your eating habit. Both the diets involve the reduction of carbs intake. This, in turn results to fatigue, dizziness, headaches, and constipation. Therefore, we recommend that you remain hydrated and drink 8 glass of water per day.
Both diets require workouts to speed up the process. Though they will work without the exercises but takes longer to lose weight. Hence, you must register yourself in a gym. We recommend you inform the instructor that you are on either of the diets. This helps him or her to draft an exercise for you.
- Support system
You will need to have a support system to be able to go through the diets. There are various groups that you can join and meet either online or in person. This makes you accountable and also motivates you. If you have a spouse ensure that he or she knows that you are undergoing either of the diets. Also, your close friends need to know this. It will give you the necessary support and also they will keep you away from your cravings.
Image Source: Health24Online
Differences between Ketogenic and Atkins diet
Even though the diets have the same purpose and similarities, there are differences that you need to look into. This will help in making your decision on what to use.
- When you are on the Atkins diet, you are allowed to have up to 30 percent of calories from proteins. This depends on the phase you are in. While in keto diet allows you to have 20 percent of calories from the proteins.
- Keto diet makes the body to stay on the ketosis process. This is because it limits carbs intake completely. On the other hand, Atkins diet limits the carbs only for a specific time. Afterward, the body goes back to the metabolic process when you start to introduce other foods.
- When on Atkins diet you are permitted to consume some foods such as vegetables and fruits. In keto diet, you are to remain on a diet and not allowed to consume any other foods or vegetables. The diet has to be followed strictly for it to work.
- If you are on the Atkins diet, you are allowed to consume a higher percentage of fat that is broken down to provide energy. In keto diet, you are to consume higher percentage of proteins that are then broken down into glucose to produce energy.
- When you are on the Atkins diet, it improves blood glucose control and insulin resistance. On the other hand, the keto diet is responsible for improving glycemic control. This, in turn, prevents type 2 diabetes.
- The keto diet was developed as a way of treating epilepsy, but later, it was discovered to have health benefits. This is different from Atkins which was developed as a way to improve nutrition. In the process it evolved into four stage diet.
Keto Diet vs Atkins Diet Summary
Whether you choose to have the keto or Atkins diet, you will be successful in losing the extra calories. Plus they have the same characteristic, which is lowering the intake of carbs. This has health benefits to you as well. Please do ensure that you drink a lot of water to remain hydrated. However, we are against embarking on the diet if you haven’t consulted with your doctor.
Especially if you have a chronic disease, make sure you consult with him or her and let them guide you towards the whole process. For you to succeed in this battle, all it takes is determination and self-sacrifice. Once you have attained the desired weight maintain it to remain healthy.